Thursday, May 13, 2010

It Is Wll With My Soul


“When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul.”

This hymn was written by a Chicago lawyer, Horatio G. Spafford after losing one of his children. The words which Spafford wrote come from 2 Kings 4:26, and reveals a man whose trust in the Lord is unwavering.

The Spaffords were also prominent supporters and close friends of D.L. Moody, the famous preacher. In 1870, however, things started to go wrong. The Spaffords' only son was killed by scarlet fever at the age of four. A year later, it was fire rather than fever that struck. Horatio had invested heavily in real estate on the shores of Lake Michigan. In 1871, every one of these holdings was wiped out by the great Chicago Fire.

Even after all this tragedy, Horatio could still pen those beloved words.

Oh, that I might have that kind of faith. We never know what tragic things might come our way in this world. We must go deep in our relationship with Christ to anchor our hearts, minds and spirits. Only then will we know that whatever our lot…it will be well with our soul.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. This brings to mind what the Lord has sometimes asked me, "What's your bottom line? Will you serve me despite negative circumstances?" It isn't always an easy road, but I'd not trade it for anything.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete