Monday, March 1, 2010

Holy Ground


When the Lord saw Moses coming to take a closer look, God called to him from the middle of the bush, “Moses! Moses!”  “Here I am!” Moses replied. “Do not come any closer,” the Lord warned. “Take off your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground. I am the God of your father - the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” When Moses heard this, he covered his face because he was afraid to look at God.  Exodus 3:4-6


This passage almost sounds like science fiction. We have all seen the movie The Ten Commandments haven’t we? The scene with Moses at the burning bush is low on special effects, but accurate in dialogue. Moses had been curious when he saw the glow of fire on the mountain, and couldn’t stand it any longer. He had to go see what God looked like – even if it cost him his life.

Moses actually got very close to Jehovah, close enough to be afraid to look at Him. God had to tell him to take off his sandals because the ground around the burning bush was “holy ground.” He called Moses by name. The presence of God was overwhelming for Moses and he was forever changed. He was a chosen man, but still just like you and me.

I have to ask myself, have I ever gotten close enough to God that He would ask me to “remove my sandals” because I stood on holy ground? Have I ever been curious enough about the God whose fire burns on the mountain that I felt compelled to see his face – no matter what the cost?

Maybe a trip to the mountain is what you need today – what we all need. I know I will have to work at allowing God to give me courage to go deeper. I will admit, in some ways, I’m scared. But I know someday I will see him face to face, and I want him to call me by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment