Thursday, December 3, 2009

Can You Hear Him?

And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me—the one he sent to you.
“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!
John 5:37-39

Have you ever opened a cupboard door to look for something and can’t find it. Then you step back and take another look. It was right in front of your face. You may have expected the item to look like something else, or you may have been distracted by the package of Oreos on the shelf. It could be that you didn’t really think the item would be there, and so you skimmed right over it.

It can be that way with seeking and hearing the message God has for us. Jesus said we search everywhere to find the message, but often come up empty hearted because we have no faith. Or perhaps we have been distracted, or think that God’s message will come a certain way in a certain form. It’s too easy to miss out on the message unless we truly believe there is a message to be heard. God seeks us out to commune with us. Are we too distracted or busy or skeptical to hear Him?

When we are born again, our spirit is joined with God. We are then programmed to be able to hear the voice of God. He whispers to us, and even if we don’t recognize it, He guides us in our spirit.

Tune your ears to Him so that you may hear his personal message to you. He desires to build you up with his words and point you to Christ.
Father, help me to hear. Point me to yourself, and teach me how to live.

1 comment:

  1. Good devotional! I know I'm guilty of often becoming too skeptical to hear his voice speaking to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete