Thursday, November 5, 2009

Grow In Confidence

“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom then shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?”
“I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”
Psalm 27: 1, 13 & 14


This Psalm discloses David’s personal relationship with his God, and relates his experiences in a way that reflects an ongoing attitude of confidence. Through all the trials and calamities of his life, David could look back upon those days when God rescued him, and take courage in knowing he didn’t let fear corrode his faith. He understood that in order to accomplish God’s will, he would need the confidence that only comes through capturing the beauty of God’s character in his own life. It came to be as he sought His habitation daily.

If we have the courage to wait upon the Lord we will begin to see that our prayers will be answered, and that God is always in control. God uses waiting to renew, refresh and teach us. The very powerful words that the Lord gave to King David brought personal assurance to his walk, and focus to his task at hand. In our times of waiting, we can be in a better position to hear the voice of God. As we hear his voice, we grow in confidence – and confidence will be expressed in all areas of our lives.

Confidently express yourself with your talents and abilities with God’s power. You can then play your part in building momentum to take the church to the next level of faith. Waiting and listening are hard for us to do. It takes practice to feel comfortable in this seemingly passive state. We know from David’s writings that he did a great deal of waiting and listening. In turn, he came to know God in a special way – earning his favor.

All things, seen and unseen, are subject to the glory of God. As we yield to Him, growing closer to Him, we find the confidence we long for.

Dear Lord, help me to wait. I want to face my fears. Open my eyes to see the confidence I need to serve you better. Thank you for being patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment